Objective of NATKHAT
Reach out to those children who cannot afford quality education due to financial constraints. Provide informal education (Open Study Center), absolutely free of cost, to children who cannot get admitted to schools because of financial constraint and help them eventually get admission. Provide quality education after school hours to ensure that children are able to cope up with their counterparts in mainstream schools. Focus on holistic development of the children by conducting hobby sessions, sports activities, and talent competitions. Provide regular mentoring and counseling sessions to the children.
Reach out to children who cannot afford quality education and take them beyond ‘just being literate’. Set up Supportive After School Model in the heart of their residence. Improve the rate and level of learning by providing them classes daily. Provide quality education after school hours to ensure that children are able to cope up with their counterparts in mainstream schools. Focus on holistic development of the children by conducting hobby sessions, sports activities, and talent competitions.
- Participation in early childhood
- Stress on the education of Girls
- Work on comprehensive education with importance to
- English, Mathematics, Computer
- Personality improvement (stress on etiquette/manners), Ethics, Sports, Arts
- Hygiene and Health
- Regular counselling of children help them
- Improve their level of learning and gain confidence
- Focus on future and find direction in career
- Solve daily issues (home abuse and psychological)
Conduct a formal survey of the slum before initiating the project in an area. Post analysis of the findings, depending on their level of knowledge, we divide the children into two categories, Tenderfeet (basic) and Advancers (one level above). We set up an Open Study Center in the slum and start classes six days a week. Our classes are conducted post school hours so that children do not find it difficult to attend them. We teach them English, Mathematics, Hindi, General Awareness and Etiquette. We also conduct sports, arts and cultural classes for them on regular basis.
Our classes are interactive learning based in which we use story telling, role-plays, and games to maximize learning. Since it is a technology-driven world, we also teach Computer. In the longer term, we plan to provide skill-based training to make them self-sustainable. Each center takes care of around eighty children.
Journey so far
- Strength of students
- Initially begin with 12 Kids @ Jankipuram center.
- Now cater to more than 150 kids with 2 centre
- Change in approach
- Transforming rage pickers and beggars into school going kids.
- Convinced some familiar not to put their children labour.
- Learning progression
- Not being able to identify alphabet – started conversing in broken sentences.
- Immense growth in confidence level and rate of learning of kids.
Parents now envision a future of their children. Regular counselling and guidance has helped children improve their quality of life.